Friday 11 July 2014

Dice Roller Madness – Click Your Destiny!

Dice Roller Madness – Click Your Destiny!
In today’s post we are going to look at the randomness of using a Dice Roller at the table and the statistics I found from three online dice roller sites.   Many people are showing up to role playing sessions with a smart phone and tablet in hand ready to digitally roll dice.  So it might be useful to “roll the dice” a few times at each site you potentially want to use to determine if it is random enough to use at your home game.
Please note, when notating Crit Hit or Crit Fail I used either the minimum or maximum number that could be rolled on each dice.
Click for a free copy of the PDF: Dice Roller Madness

WIZARDS DND Dice Roller App

You can find this roller at http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm  
This site will allow you to roll a D4, D6, D8, D10, D100, D12, D20, or a DXX combination.  You can also automatically configure a + or – modifier to your roll.  For each dice, here are the results.
DND Dice Roller
My notes about the Wizards DND Dice Roller App
  • Nice Interface
  • Modifiers easy to use
  • The D100 rolled incredibly low over the sample size
Brock Jones Dice Roller App
You can find this roller at http://www.brockjones.com/dieroller/dice.htm
Brock Jones site will allow you to roll D2, D3, D4, D6, D8, D10, D100, D12, D20 with a click of a button.  You are able to add positive and negative modifiers in a separate area.  Unfortunately it requires you to type in the dice type you wish to add.
To keep comparison the same, I am only comparing rolls for the same dice the Wizards DnD Dice Roller has.
Brock Jones Dice Roller
My Notes about the Brock Jones Dice Roller App
  • I like the results if I were rolling a D10 most often.
  • D100 rolled a lot better over the sample size.
  • This dice roller app allows you to save custom dice rolls which could save you time.
Roll Dice Online
Roll Dice Online has a nice roller system but appears to be more geared towards general dice rolling.   http://www.roll-dice-online.com/
Roll Dice Online allow you to roll a D2, D3, D4, D5, D6, D7, D8, D9, D10, D11, D12, D13, D18, D19, D20, D30, and D100.  You can opt to roll up to 99 of the same kind of dice in rolls of up to 99 times.
Again, I am going to compare rolls for dice that can be used on the Wizards DnD Dice Roller App.
Dice Roller Online
My Notes about the Roll Dice Online App
  • I like the roll distribution a little better on this app.
  • There are not any modifiers that can be used with this system.
  • You can only roll 1 type of dice at a time and the number of dice has to be manually typed.
If I had to Pick One Dice Roller?
If I was not concerned about adding or subtracting modifiers, I would probably use the Roll Dice Online interface.  If you have a fistful of dice, like in the Storyteller system where there are only D10s, this dice roller might be most useful and seems to bring a more even distribution.  The output looks a little nice as well.
For other systems that require modifiers and a straightforward interface, I would probably choose the Wizards DnD Dice Roller.  Unless I had a D100, then I might just roll one myself…

Do you have a favorite Dice Roller?  Leave a comment below and let me know.

Source: http://destinationrpg.com/dice-roller-madness-click-your-destiny/

No comments:

Post a Comment